1) Always eat a healthy breakfast within 30 minutes of waking.
Besides being the most important meal, breakfast sets the tone for the rest of your day. Think of breakfast as a key time to refuel from hours of fasting and the first opportunity to stoke your metabolism.
2) Consume protein, carbohydrates, and fat with every meal.
Never eat a carbohydrate by itself. The goal is to combine any sugars you eat with a protein and/or a fat so each meal satisfies nutritionally without spiking insulin levels.
3) Eat every 2 – 3 hours.
Just as you never want to eat a carbohydrate by itself, never go too long between meals. Allowing your blood sugar to drop out of optimal range will have negative effects on your hormones while causing sugar cravings and more fat storage.
4) Drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day.
Water is the most important nutrient for the body. Dehydration causes stress and disruptions of normal metabolic processes within the body and doesn’t allow the body to detox properly on a daily basis. Flush out toxins and keep you cells hydrated with plenty of pure water.
5) Avoid processed foods and those with artificial ingredients.
Processed foods are loaded with chemicals, filler ingredients, and added sugars and sweeteners, all while containing less nutrients than whole foods. Feed your body real foods with real benefits.
6) Bonus tip: To lose weight and tone up, try taking a group fitness class. With a group fitness class, you will stay active, sweat and get a good burn which will raise your heart rate and help you lose unwanted weight.